Tuesday 23 September 2014

Banned Book Week

Apparently this week (Sept 21st-27th) marks the annual event Banned Book Week. Launched in 1982, the event seeks to celebrate the freedom to read and also as a protest against censorship.

I decided that I would check out a list of books that have in the past been banned by governments. I was quite surprised to find that a few of those on the list I had read. A lot of these titles I have also included on my Top Ten books that have had an impact upon me; make of that what you will.

Damn those anthropomorphic animals
Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
It was banned in China in 1931 for its portray of intelligent animals. I myself can’t quite see why this was deemed harmful for the reader. Surely the fact that it can be seen as a advertisement for drugs is more concerning.

Animal Farm by George Orwell
I wasn’t surprised this one was banned; it was, after all, a clear attack on the USSR political system. What did shock me was that it is still banned, and censored, in some Asian countries. Once again the problem seems to be for its intelligent critters.

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
The book was banned in Ireland for its portrayal of sexuality. However, as anyone who has read it will agree, the promiscuous activities aren’t looked on favourably in the novel.

The Canterbury Tales  by  Geoffrey Chauncer
It was banned in the U.S for its ‘filthy’ language. I must say The Miller’s Tale does indeed make me blush.

The Diary of Anne Frank by Anne Frank
It was banned in Lebanon for its sympathetic portrayal of Jews.

Not sure if I fancy it myself.
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
China banned this beloved childrens’ book for its Marxist ideas. To be honest the Marxism isn’t that obvious, especially to a child, but I agree that persuasive political ideologies should stay out of childrens’ literature.

1984 by George Orwell
Like Animal Farm, this anti-soviet novel was banned. But this time for its political satire, not talking animals.






Overall, I have to say I applaud an event like Banned Book Week that seeks to highlight the dangers of censorship. Thankfully most of these bans have been lifted and we theoretically live in an age where censorship is harder to hide (in this country at least).

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland image from illustrators lounge, Eggs and ham from yeunglei

2 comments:

  1. Most of Dr. Suess' books have political ideologies worked into them. 'Yertle the Turtle' is probably the most known story of his to have that coexist within the writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely going to research Dr. Suess. For an author I enjoy so much I know very little about him and it would seem his works too. Thank you for the recomendation as to where to start. Out of interest do you know about his work before childrens' literature?

      Delete

Hey I love to hear from my readers and promise to respond to any and all comments. Even the silly ones: actually especially the silly ones.

If you liked this...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

If you liked this...