Wednesday 17 September 2014

Top Ten Books to me

Some of you may have already seen the most recent chain campaign currently making the rounds on Facebook. I was quite surprised to see a new one appearing considering the ALS bucket challenge has only just lost momentum. Before you ask, yes I have done that challenge and yes I will be posting it on here in due course; no doubt many of you want to see me drenched.

The latest challenge is to create a list of the ten books that have stuck with you throughout your life. I must admit I was tagged a few weeks ago, but it has taken me a while to decide.
The problem is, as usual, the moment someone asks me to think of anything my mind draws a blank. Suddenly I couldn't remember a single book I have read let alone ones of significance. Which of course was ridiculous, especially considering in the last two weeks I have read five books cover to cover.
  1. The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy  by Douglas Adams
    The radio adaptation was always played in our car on long journeys throughout my childhood. It never got repetitive or stale. Both this and the book helped shape my humour and personality above other media. 

  2. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
    I picked this book up as part of my A Level English course and instantly fell in love. This was far from the Hammer Horror cliched story I was expecting. I was drawn into the tragic story, and it blurred the lines between monster, society, good and bad. 

  3. Muddle Earth by Terry Pratchett and Chris Riddell
    I read this when I was young, ashamedly not that young. However, it made me laugh even after multiple readings. Rather a guilty pleasure of mine.

  4. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles by Haruki Marukami (translation by Jay Rubin)
    The most recent addition, after returning from Tokyo I was pining for the culture. So I gave this a read and finished the 600 pages in little under two days.

  5. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
  6. It has always been a tradition of mine to read this around the Christmas season, usually followed by watching The Muppet Christmas Carol.

  7. The Shining  by Stephen King
    One of the first books I read that wasn't from the childrens' section. Think I jumped in a the deep end a bit. But I loved it and poured through it's pages at lightening speed, pausing only when the tension got too much. It spooked me in places, but not enough to put it in the fridge like Joey on Friends.

  8. Blog INC. by Joy Deangdeelert Cho
    I found this book the week I began blogging; in a TV exhibition of all places. The coincidence made me purchase it and it has been beneficial beyond bounds to me as a blogger. It even covers situations I have yet to come across. I can only dream of the levels of success needed to put some sections into use.

  9.  Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K Rowling
    Whilst not a mere mention of Harry Potter brings out a hipster sigh from me, I can't deny it has had an impact. My parents began the series by reading to me and by the end I was reading to them. The series kick started the fire of reading within me which has yet to even dwindle.

  10. Winnie the Pooh by A. A. Milne
  11. Another series that was read to me as a child and one I hope to read to my own children. I still chuckle at the voice my Dad gave to Eeyore as he floated down the river during a game of Pooh sticks.
    10. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
          I read this book on a holiday to France, during the trip we spent a lot of time travelling and I soon had the book finished. I loved it for it's surreal story, one which can be read in multiple ways. Is Alice mad, grieving, in another world or just asleep? You can decide for yourself.

So there we have it. My ten most influential reads. Now I want to hear yours; take this as a tag to anyone and everyone who reads this. If you're a blogger and you do it let me know and I'll link you in the post.

5 comments:

  1. I need to read Blog Inc. thanks for referral .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a blogger it is my bible. I can't recommend it anymore than that. Do you blog?

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! I forgot about Terry Pratchett, I haven't read him in ages, but I remember laughing a lot. I haven't read The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, but I love the film!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, not overly a fan of Pratchett just Muddle Earth really. I'm not going to lie I get rather snobbish concerning The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy for you see 'the book is far superior than the film.' (Feel free to picture me sounding rather snobbish)

      Delete

Hey I love to hear from my readers and promise to respond to any and all comments. Even the silly ones: actually especially the silly ones.

If you liked this...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

If you liked this...