Wednesday 27 August 2014

Robin Williams

Last week, as many of you will have heard, the man/myth Robin Williams sadly took his own life. His death will leave a big hole in many of our hearts as his films and comedy touched many minds. In my post this week I would like to reflect on the legacy that he leaves behind.

Firstly, I would like to state that I'm not going to praise every single appearance he had. Whilst he was a superb actor, he was also fallible. For instance I believe his performance as the genie in Aladdin  is the weakest part of an otherwise amazing film. Also his stand-up never appealed to me, although I can appreciate the impact he has had on American comedy circuits. But, Robin Williams did have an impact upon me on numerous ways and I want to talk about a few of these.


  • Aladdin- This film is one of my favorite Disney animations and fondly watched throughout my childhood (due in no small part to it being my fathers favorite and we seem to have various copies as he forgets we own it already). However, as I have touched on already William's character in this was the biggest let down, if I'm honest he was just too childish for my taste.                                                                                                                          
  • Hook- I am a big of Peter Pan fan and Hook is a refreshing take on the classic children's adventure. William's portrayal of a Peter Pan who has not only grown up, but also forgotten his life in Neverland is amazing and at points touching. He's perfectly balanced too by Dustin Hoffman as the villainous Captain James Hook.                                                                   
  • Patch Adams- I have only seen this film recently, but can recommend it whole-heartedly. A story (based loosely on true events) about a doctor whose core belief is that a happy patient will take better to treatment. It is a great feel-good film for when your feeling blue. Laughter is, after all, the best medicine.                                                                                              
  • Jumanji- Growing up this film always seemed to be on TV at one time or another. Despite this I always found myself watching it. I'm not quite sure why I did watch it eagerly as it's far from perfect. Just one of those films to have on in the background as I go about other things.   
  • Mrs. Doubtfire- This is a bit of an odd one as I haven't actually seen this film. But, it is a film I am desperate to see. People are always citing it as being a brilliantly funny film and I feel like I commit a disservice by missing out so far.                                                                    
  • Legend of Zelda franchise- Lastly as a gamer the last mention I'd like to make is to Robin Williams as a patron of the Zelda games. He was an avid player of the series, starring in trailers for them and even named his daughter after the princess. This year the two attended E3 and a mask held by Zelda gave many fans hope for a re-make of a classic.
These are just my personal observations on the career of Robin Williams. I realise I have barely scratched the surface. I would like to send my condolences to his family and friends who has left behind and who I'm sure feel the void more that most. I welcome your observations in the comments below about your views on his career.

Image from Lightlybuzzed.

4 comments:

  1. I grew up watching Aladdin and so I was just as devastated as the rest of the world our beloved Genie has touched. I also love Dead Poet Society and Goodwill Hunting. What a loss, huh? But I think what we can learn from story life is that life is truly precious and we need to value one another as much as we can.

    http://baredmysoul.blogspot.com/2014/08/rip-robin-williams.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should watch Dead Poet's Society as it is parodied so much. Goodwill Hunting doesn't really appeal to me, but would you recommend it?

      Delete
  2. I seem to remember him the most from Bicentennial Man. I would recommend it if you haven't seen it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that when it came out, unfortunately I remember feeling a bit bored in it.

      Delete

Hey I love to hear from my readers and promise to respond to any and all comments. Even the silly ones: actually especially the silly ones.

If you liked this...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

If you liked this...