Tuesday 23 December 2014

Merry Christmas 2014

I think it is a tad to late to say it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas. To be honest it has started to look this way since late September.

Regardless I have held out from doing a Christmas blog post until this week. A week that began with a new tradition, but will also include all the old ones too. A perfect time to reflect on my own personal festive traditions.
We didn't decorate ours, just placed one in the fireplace.
Firstly, the new tradition that I added to my list this year was the burning of a Yule log. This is a pagan tradition, one which I took part in because of a agreement between Amy and myself. I won't go into detail on this agreement yet, however, I'm sure you will hear more about it in the year ahead.

The burning of the yule log represents the end of the old year and encouraging a prosperous year ahead. It is performed around the Winter solstice, which is the shortest day of the year (this year the 21st December). I fear I may have simplified that tradition a bit, but that is how I viewed it.

As I watched the log burn I thought about the year ahead and what I wanted from it. I thought of prosperity, renewal and restoration. I also thought that to achieve these I would need to sacrifice things in return, whether that be through time money or effort. We must always put in something to see a return.

As for returning traditions there are the obvious, like watching The Muppet's Christmas Carol, The Nightmare Before Christmas and perhaps some sitcoms too (or Adventure Time). Also I have already begun the tradition of listening to festive music as I work. Last year I found myself in the bottom floor of my University library, reading legal cases from the eighteenth century to the sound of Wombling Merry Christmas. Not the oddest way a law student has coped with studying the law, believe me.

I have also eaten rather a lot of junk food. My personal favourite so far has been some home-made shortbread.

Part of the food celebration will include the traditional eating of Astronaut ice-cream on Christmas eve (it's a long story).
I spent last Christmas around my brothers Christmas tree,
Pretty isn't it?
Of course soon on Christmas day will be the usual gift-giving and then on Boxing day comes eating left over food and opening a tree present.

This year marks the first that I won't be spending with my family and instead with my girlfriend and her parents. I will be seeing my own family on New Years a nice compromise, that has the side effect of two festive celebrations.

How are you all spending the festive period? Let me know below in the comments.

Yule log image from Kappaphi,

1 comment:

  1. It has been a good Christmas, and glad you liked the shortbread! At least having two celebrations means we get to travel :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey I love to hear from my readers and promise to respond to any and all comments. Even the silly ones: actually especially the silly ones.

If you liked this...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

If you liked this...